Sunday, October 27, 2013

Treasures

On the morning of Friday, August 16, 2013, I got up feeling lazy, but decided it was a good day to go into school and get some things done in my classroom because the next week was full of teacher workdays and all kinds of things to do.  If you are a teacher or know a teacher, you know those days are sacred.  You also get jittery when another school year is about to start.  

In the meantime, I got Breiner up and he really was wanting me to pick him up for lunch because Mallory got to do that a lot.  Mallory, is a sweet, adorable little girl in his four year old class.  Inside my mind, I did not want to start that because I knew it would become something that he would expect me to do and I just could not fill that role of bringing him a happy meal when he wanted me to.  I finally explained to him we would go for breakfast.  So, in the meantime, he had earned something from the prize box at preschool.  GOLDEN COINS!  To him, that meant, you could buy real stuff with them.  Score! He brought home a handful of golden coins earlier in the week.  I think he thought it was real money.  

As I took him through the drive through at McDonald's I told him that this was only for special occasions.  I could not do this every morning because we run late EVERYDAY!  :)  Yes, everyday!  No matter how much I get ready the night before, we run late.  He ordered pancakes and an orange juice.  He told me he wanted to pay for his breakfast with his golden coins.  He actually called them, "My special coins!"  Little did I know later that day would be the last day I would ever take him through the drive through at McDonald's.  Breiner's seat sat directly behind me in the car, so when we pulled up to the window I leaned back and handed the guy my credit card hidden under the bag of coins.  I told the guy that Breiner wanted to pay for his pancakes with his coins.  I was winking at him at the same time and he caught on.  He swipes my card and then leans back so Breiner cannot see him and mouths to me, "You want them back?"  I shake my head and tell him that he can keep them.  

He gets his breakfast and then eats what he can in the car on our way to preschool.  When we got to his preschool he ran inside and told his teachers what he had done.  He walks right in to his class and begins playing.  Any other day, he screams and kicks and wants to come with me.  Not on this day!

Later that day was when his accident happened.  I found these "treasures" (golden coins) a few days after his accident.  The ziploc bag was full of them.  I have saved a bunch and gave a few away to my immediate family.  These coins now sit in my jewelry box with some of my most special jewelry given to me through out my years.  By far, this is the most special thing to me.

Thinking about these, I remember taking my kids to bible school when they were really little and they learned this song:
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6: 19 - 21.

I do have my treasure (golden coins) to hold onto until I die, but I am not storing up my treasures here on earth.  I am waiting until the day God calls me home, so I can run to my sweet little treasure and hold him again.  

1 comment:

  1. I am sooooo thankful for my special coins...here on Earth and in Heaven. My special Breiner coin is also in my jewelry box. Diddo!

    ReplyDelete